In the year 1910, Charles A Noble started up an engineering company working out of Swanston Street Melbourne. Around the same time the American city Cleveland, Ohio, .was seen to be the ‘Mecca’ for all high quality precision- engineering parts. Jumping on the popularity of the name, the Cleveland Engineering Co. was formed. The first venture of Cleveland Engineering was to manufacture and supply theatre chairs to many of Melbourne’s theatres. Transmission equipment, (plummer blocks, rigid pillow block bearings for line shafting and couplings), was also manufactured and sold to merchants in Melbourne and throughout Australia.
In 1923, Charles’s sons Laurence Noble and brother Eric started work at Cleveland . They continued to manufacture all existing product lines over a time frame of twenty to thirty years. Forecasting a fall in demand of current manufactured items a change of direction was required. It was decided by Laurie that vee belt pulleys should be introduced to the product range of Cleveland engineering.
The vee pulleys business prospered in the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s so it was decided to drop all other lines and concentrate on the sole manufacture of these items. In 1951 Laurie’s son Michael started working for Cleveland . Ian, also Laurie’s son started in 1956. Ian’s sons, David in 1986 and Steve in 1990 also joined the business. Although Cleveland continued to manufacture vee pulleys, it was becoming apparent that with the advent of people importing pulleys from China Cleveland could not compete on a dollar-by-dollar basis. Cleveland decided to also import standard pulleys from China as well as manufacture specials and non-standard pulleys. Today, with a focus on customer service Cleveland Engineering is the leading solution provider of standard and customised products servicing the power transmission industry and select niche markets.